Saturday 1 February 2014

Knit Experimentation

It's been a few weeks since I last posted but I've been stressing over University interviews and my portfolio preparations but that's all okay now, so I thought I would show what I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. In my last post, I finalised part one of the 'Inside Out' project by going to Spode for the location shoot and photographing the skeletal garments there. I have now moved on to part two which means that I can really experiment and bring my own individuality into the next part. I planned to do a lot of sampling using a variety of techniques. I was going to do a week of embroidery, print, and knit and maybe weave but it depends how it works out. I have done my knit and print, and also embroidery so I will do a few separate posts or else this one would be too long! I started of with the knit, as I wanted to experiment using my knitting machine but also see how hand knitting would work. Here are some images of what I produced...

Hand knitted - wool and  plastic and also leather added in.
Machine knitted piece dyed using the heat press and ink and also natural dyes including berries.

Machine knitted piece.
Machine knitted piece - Edited image.
These are all the knitted samples that I have produced so far using both hand and machine knitted techniques. I put the machine knitted pieces into the heat press to make them thinner but also to dye them. The texture of the wool really changed after it had been added which create an effective surface texture, which is what I was inspired by anyway.

My next post will be based on the prints that I have been producing using natural dyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment